Host Site: ,

Achievement Academy of Durham

Crenica Crews

I work with Achievement Academy of Durham. I help students obtain their GED in an intimate environment.  The mission at Achievement Academy is to reconnect people to life opportunities accessible through a quality education.  What brought me to NCLC is my passion for education; I had been a teen mom who recently earned my associates degree, and value education. I wanted to be able to pay it forward and give people who had a disadvantage in life to have a chance! My favorite book is I know why the caged bird sings.

AVID of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools

Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocate

Karida Giddings

Karida is originally from Winston-Salem, NC and moved to Chapel Hill to attend school at UNC Chapel Hill where she recently graduated from. During her junior and senior year of college she volunteered at Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocate, helping with high school literacy support. She joined AmeriCorps because she is passionate about the services Blue Ribbon provides to students and their families and wants to further serve her community. Her future plans include attending law school to become a civil rights attorney. Karida enjoys cooking, spending time with her family, and meeting new people.

Blue Ridge Literacy Council

Alex Franks 

I am Alex Franks and I moved to Asheville, NC four years ago to pursue my Master’s in Liberal Arts and Sciences with a concentration in Creative Writing from University of North Carolina – Asheville, which I graduated with in May 2017.  I spent my first 18 years living with my family in Dallas, TX. My father used to be the voice of Barney the Dinosaur, and this past February was on the game show, Wheel of Fortune. I now live in Fletcher, NC and enjoy taking cooking classes, hiking in Pisgah National Forest, and competitive board games. 

What drew me to Americorps was a like-minded friend from Undergrad who was an Americorps member this past year. She reached out to me and I loved the social-justice mindset behind the program. The site I am working at is the Blue Ridge Literacy Council in Hendersonville, NC which strives to improve the literacy of adult learners in Henderson County. My favorite book is: Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry

Communities in Schools of Durham County

Jessica Barner

My name is Jessica Barner. I am serving at Communities In Schools of Durham. Specifically, I work with K-5th grade students at Merrick Moore Elementary School in Durham. I have my Master of Social Work degree. My favorite book series of the moment is the Xenogenesis series by Octavia E. Butler.

Sarah Costine

Sarah Costine, serving at Communities in Schools of Durham with students at Eno Valley Elementary School. I am from Tryon, a small mountain town in Western North Carolina. I interned with Communities in Schools of Durham during my final year at UNC, and worked along side the LiteracyCorps members serving at that time. They inspired me to extend my time with Eno Valley students by serving through the NC LiteracyCorps! My favorite book is The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich.

Duke Program in Education

Durham Literacy Center

Literacy Connections of Wayne County

Literacy Council of Buncombe County

Emily Spies 

My name is Emily Spies and I am serving as the Recruitment and Awareness Coordinator and as a volunteer ESOL tutor with the Literacy Council of Buncombe County. Mainly, I work with adult volunteers, community partners, families in Buncombe County, and my ESOL student. I am originally from Maryland, but have lived in Asheville for seven years. I joined NCLC because I believe literacy is a key to open the entire world and I find it heartbreaking and unjust that so many, for one reason or another, are denied their right to that key. After my time with NCLC, I hope to continue in a career in social justice and nonprofit.

North Carolina Central University

Akan Umo My name is Akan Umo and I am from Silver Spring, MD. I serve with America Reads on the campus of North Carolina Central University. I currently work with six of our local schools where we work to improve the literacy skills with Kindergarten through 3rd-grade students. What brought me to NC Literacy Corps was I always wanted to work with AmeriCorps but never had a car. When I saw the opportunity, I acted upon it and got the position. My favorite book is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. Two interesting facts are that I am a first-generation Nigerian-American and I am a reality television enthusiast

N.C State Multicultural Affairs

Sydney Schupp
My name is Sydney Schupp. I am an elementary education major at NC State and my favorite book is “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak. I am the student coordinator of a program called Read To L.E.A.D. at NC State. In our program we have college students who serve as mentors for elementary age students. Each week we do literacy and social justice lessons.

Reading Connections

UNC America Reads

Micaela Campbell My name is Micaela Campbell. I am from Winston Salem, NC. I’m majoring in English and African American Studies with a minor in Hispanic Studies. I work with SCALE to help Pre-K through 8th grade learners increase their literacy and self-efficacy skills. NCLC sparked my interest through its intentional dedication to community involvement. My favorite book is Jazz by Toni Morrison. A few fun facts about me are that I love coffee and I skipped third grade