This is my second year serving as an AmeriCorps member and I will cherish this experience for the rest of my life. Before getting the position my first year I knew nothing about AmeriCorps and it was just a name. Now looking back two years later I have realized that it was one of the best decisions I have made for myself. For those of you who don´t know, members commit their time to addressing critical community needs such as increasing academic achievement, tutoring and mentoring both youth and adults, fighting poverty, and more. The reward of experiencing the impact we have on our learners is such an amazing feeling that sometimes can´t be described. I have learned and grown so much as a person because of my position as a member and I have met some amazing people along the way. I have learned time management, financial budgeting, how to spice up a resume, effective tools to tutoring students, discovered my professional strengths, and realized how ambitious I can l be. Life, or should I say being an adult is hard work. What gives us the strength to continue when we are tired? Sometimes an inspirational idea or even your next job decision can help us renew ourselves and be filled with strength to fulfill our life´s purpose. The root of an idea is the idea that our lives are meaningful. Inspiration is knowing that what I do matters to my students, myself, and the world. When you have the feeling that your actions are meaningful, you will become filled with strength and vigor to fulfill your purpose. There are two types of dreams: the ones we have when we are asleep and the ones we have when we are awake. What is the connection? Both kinds of dreams are rooted from the desires we hold deep inside. Those of us that dare to put our dreams on paper are showing the courage and faith that their dreams will come true. I say all of this to say: use your AmeriCorps experience as a stepping stone and don´t let your dreams and goals stop here. Push yourself to reach your full potential and never give up.

Sincerely,

Brittney Arrington